Sunday, September 28, 2008

Step Show






I never took the opportunity to shoot a Step Show when I was at Western, but I did not pass up on the opportunity when the assignment came up here. I had a really great time shooting this step show, it was a cultural experience for me which I loved. I am learning a lot about the campus and the different people represented here by shooting for the paper which is really good for me as a journalist. Something weird happened though, when I was walking in to this event and maybe some of you could offer me some insight. First of all, the place had every EMU police officer in or around the building which I found to be quite racist. So when I was trying to get in, the police officers kind of hassled me asking for a press pass, which we don't have and then my student ID. Fortunately, they let me in, but right as I was walking in one of them kind of laughed and said, "Oh, and Obama will be here in abut 10 minutes." I'm not sure what he meant by that, my first thought, was no...he's in Mississippi for the debate and then my second thought was, was that some sort of racist joke? I've talked about it with some people here, it just still doesn't sit right with me. I guess there is not a way to make logic out of racism. Aside from that, I really enjoyed myself and got to see some really interesting performances.

0 comments: